Section NExT - Rocky Mountain
New Experiences in Teaching - Rocky Mountain Section of the MAA
Project NExT (New Experiences in Teaching) is a national program for new or recent Ph.D.s in the mathematical sciences who are interested in improving the teaching and learning of undergraduate mathematics. Section NExT-RM is the Rocky Mountain Section's
version of the program. Non-tenured, faculty members who are within the first five years of teaching (not including teaching performed while in graduate school) in our section are invited to apply to become Section NExT - Rocky Mountain (Section NExT-RM) Fellows.
Our third meeting for the Section NExT - RM Fellows will be April 13-14, 2012 at the Auraria Campus, Denver, CO, both just prior to and just following (more on this below) the annual section meeting. At this workshop, participants will discuss
topics of special relevance to beginning faculty. Topics could include
- A collection of neat teaching ideas from fellows -- short 10 minute talks;
- How to balance teaching, research, and service;
- Tips for getting tenure;
- Appropriate use of technology in teaching;
- Conclude workshop with the new people making a list of questions for the "old" people to answer, and the "old people" making a list of things they wished they had known when they started, then both groups share;
- Topics related to or new approaches to teaching popular courses like calculus or statistics;
- Assessing student learning;
- Perspectives from pedagogical research;
- Writing grant proposals.
Section NExT-RM Fellows will remain in contact with one another via an electronic network, and are expected to attend the Spring 2013 Rocky Mountain MAA Section meeting.
Faculty members in our section who are within their first five years of teaching full time at a university, four-year or two-year college are invited to apply to become Section NExT-RM Fellows. To apply to this year's class of Section NExT Fellows:
- Fill out the application form
- Submit a letter of support from your department Chair to one of the co-organizers listed below (e-mail submissions are preferred). See below for more information on this portion of the application.
- The deadline for completing this application is Monday, February 20th, 2012.
For those who are accepted, partial funding is available to supplement monies received from an applicant's institution; applicants are expected to obtain financial support from their departments in order to attend the upcoming Sectional Meeting. The letter
of support from your chair should indicate the amount of financial coverage the applicant will obtain from his or her institution. To assist you with this portion of the application, we have written a letter to your chair, explaning the program and the funding
you need from your department.
Letter to your chair
from the steering committee.
Finally we include answers to some other Frequently Asked Questions near the bottom of the page.
Information for National Project NExT Fellows
Thank you for your interest in Section NExT-RM, our Section's version of the national program in which you have participated. This page is here to answer a frequently asked question.
"If I am a national NExT Fellow, can I participate in Section NExT-RM?" YES! There are a number of ways that you can participate in Section NExT-RM. While the official title of "Section NExT-RM Fellow" is reserved for folks who (for whatever reason) are
not involved in the national program, there are multiple roles you can play. Among them are ...
- You can attend the sessions at the Section NExT-RM meetings.
- You can help organize one of the sessions for the Section NExT-RM meetings.
- You can be a presenter at one of the Section NExT-RM meetings.
- You can be included on the Section NExT-RM listserve.
- You can become involved in Section NExT sponsored activities at the Section meetings.
- You can meet lots of other folks from our Section who are in the same career stage you are.
If you are interested in participating at some level in Section NExT-RM, let us know! Contact information for the organizers for Section NExT-RM is below.
We will start the morning of Friday, April 13, 2012 with breakfast provided for the fellows (pending funding). We will have programs for fellows (TBA) until lunch time. Fellows are then encouraged to attend the Section meeting and on Saturday, April 14, we will
reconvene at 12:00 for lunch (again provided for fellows, pending funding) and a final session, ending no later than 2:00 pm.
Contact Information For The Steering Committee
|Bob Cohen (Co-Chair)
||Western State College
||rcohen "at" western "dot" edu
|Diane Davis (Co-Chair)
||Metropolitan State College of Denver
||ddavi102 "at" mscd "dot" edu
||Black Hills State University
||michael "dot" barrus "at" bhsu "dot" edu
||Western Wyoming Community College
||spauley"at" wwcc "dot" wy "dot" edu
Other Frequently Asked Questions
- What if my school cannot provide the full support for the fellowship? If you are accepted to be a Section NExT-RM fellow, you must commit to attending the two section meetings. Your institution is expected to provide the small amount of funding necessary
for this travel (see the chair's letter for more information on what funding your institution is expected to provide). If your institution is unable to provide travel funding, you may request additional support
from Section NExT-RM by sending a letter to the chair of the steering committee (listed above) which explains your need for funding. A general letter of support is still needed from your chair. Section NExT-RM has an extremely limited budget, and in order
to provide additional funding, we would expect there to be a compelling reason for such a small amount of professional development funding to be unavailable and we would need to have internal funds available (which is by no means a certainty).
- What if I take a position outside the Rocky Mountain Section? Then you are no longer obligated to attend your second section meeting, although we hope you will consider still attending and helping with planning activities. We will still ask you to
participate in our assessment surveys as you will have had attended at least one section meeting.
- I am a PhD graduate student in my last year before graduation, am I eligible to participate? Section NExT-RM is first and foremost a
faculty development program. Because the program may be appropriate for some PhD students in their last year before graduation, you are welcome to
apply to attend the sessions (see application instructions above). However, you are not eligible for financial support from our program.
Back to Top